Renwick Dental will collect your personal information for the purpose of providing you with health care and for directly related purposes. For example, Renwick Dental may collect, use or disclose personal information:
• For use by a multidisciplinary treating team;
• To liaise with health professionals, Medicare or your health fund;
• In an emergency where your life is at risk and you cannot consent;
• To manage our dental surgeries, including processes relating to risk management, safety
and security activities and quality assurance and accreditation activities;
• For the education of health care workers;
• To maintain medical records as required under our policies and by law; or
• For other purposes required or permitted by law.
Personal information may be shared between Renwick Dental practices (at Wyoming and Ourimbah) to coordinate your care. We use this information so that we can communicate and provide our services to our patients, to enable delivery of the best possible standard of care. We may also use this information to send our patients information about our dental practice and services, dental health information and appointment reminders. If at any time, a patient no longer wishes to receive this information, they may inform us in person or by email and will be removed from the particular list.
We collect the information in person, in writing and by telephone through our staff. We also collect information through our website. Our Internet Service Provider logs all visits to our website for providing statistical reporting. From this log, no attempt will be made to either identify users, or record their browsing activities, unless required by law. Information captured in the log is the date and time of the visit, server address of the user, pages browsed and documents downloaded, previous site visited and type of browser used. We take reasonable steps to protect all information which we hold (including your personal information) from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. If we collect information about you from someone else (for example, a relative, a carer or another health service provider), we will only do this if you have consented or where your life is at risk and we need to provide emergency treatment.
We will not use or disclose your personal information to any other persons or organisations for any other purpose unless:
• You have consented;
• The use or disclosure is for a purpose directly related to providing you with health care and
you would expect us to use or disclose your personal information in this way;
• We have told you that we will disclose your personal information to other organisations or
• We are permitted or required to do so by law.
You have the right to access your personal information in your health record. You can also request an amendment to your health record should you believe that it contains inaccurate information.
We will record your e-mail address if you send us a message through our site and it may be added to our mailing list. It will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it and for information sent directly from Renwick Dental. We will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose, and will not disclose it, without your consent. If we do not collect your email address we may not be able to provide you with the services or assistance you have requested.
Unless we are required to provide your personal information to others by law or to investigate suspected fraud or other unlawful activity, your information will only be seen or used by persons working in or for Renwick Dental. Our information systems and files are kept secured from unauthorised access and our staff and service providers have been informed of the importance we place on protecting your privacy and their role in helping us to do so.
Subject to any legal restrictions we would be happy to advise you what personal information we hold about you if you request this. If your request is particularly complex or requires detailed searching of our records, there may be a cost to you in order for us to provide this information. If you believe there are errors in our records about you, please let us know and we will be happy to investigate and correct any inaccuracies.
1. Our commitment to privacy
Your privacy is a top priority for us. When dealing with your personal information we observe our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and comply with the Australian Privacy Principles, as well as other relevant State legislation.
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, store, disclose and de-identify your personal information.
2. The types of information we collect
The types of personal information we collect include:
• Contact details (name, address, telephone numbers, email etc.);
• Demographic information (gender, date of birth etc.)
• Medical and Dental History (Illnesses, Allergies, Medications, Health Practitioners)
• Health Fund The types of sensitive information it collects include records of communications between us, which may include from time to time, information you provide us or we collect from others. This includes, but is not limited to, the following types of information:
• Personal financial information;
• Personal credit card data; and
• Any idiosyncratic or personal formation we obtain from you or others about you.
3. Why we collect private information about you
Renwick Dental and its associated entities provide dental services and oral health information to the local community. We aim to improve and maintain oral health for our patients.
We collect information about our patients which enables us to communicate with them, introduce them to our organisation and inform them of the work we do.
We do not use the information in any way other than in the furtherance of our objects and purposes. We might also use your information for the following purposes:
• For the immediate reason for which you have provided it to us (for example, to create your patient record: personal, medical and dental);
• To maintain contact with you about WDS, send appointment reminders and provide general oral health information.
• Any other purpose directly related to our work and for which you have provided consent (where it is reasonably required by law).
• We don’t rent, sell or exchange your information. The types of organisations to whom we normally disclose your personal information include: your personal GP, specialist practitioners, your health fund, your nursing home or carer or other persons only with your consent.
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are in turn bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations when handling your personal information. If you don’t want your personal information disclosed to another organisation, please inform Renwick Dental at either the time we collect your personal information or any later time.
Sometimes we may be legally required to disclose your information, for example, to government departments. Such information would only be disclosed if legally obligated to do so.
We may also sometimes share non-personal, non-sensitive and de-identified information with research organisations.
4. How we collect your information
Renwick Dental may collect information from you either directly or from third parties eg. Medicare or your health fund. Information we collect from third parties may be by formal or informal means. Where we collect information from third parties and it is not personal information that is contained in a Commonwealth record, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify the information as required by law. We collect your information in the following ways:
• Face to face contact;
• Electronically including through our website
• Via social media messages or conversation;
• During phone calls;
• Voice or image recordings;
• Whilst delivering and administering services at our facilities; and
• From forms and other correspondence (both in writing and electronically).
5. How we use your information
We only use your personal and sensitive information for the reason we collect it as set out above and for the purpose(s) for which it was collected, or as otherwise permitted by law. We will not disclose the above information that we collect to affiliates without your consent.
Images posted to the Internet and Social Media Images associated with Renwick Dental, whether taken on its premises, bearing its logo or otherwise are to be used in consistency with the Renwick Dental Styleguide and brand. If an image is unsuitable with impact to Renwick Dental’s brand and reputation, we reserve the right to request its removal. Consent to upload a client’s image is given automatically when an individual client posts their own picture to our Facebook or Instagram sites
By posting to our sites, you give us permission to repost these images on our google, facebook and Instagram platforms or for use in promotions for Renwick Dental. For images used by Renwick Dental, we will obtain consent before posting. Please email us: email@example.com if there are any concerns or to request removal of any images.
6. Accessing and correcting your personal information
You can access your information by asking us. Occasionally, we may need to refuse your request to access information, for example, where granting you access would infringe someone else’s privacy.
When you request access, we will ask you to provide some form of identification so that we can ensure that you are the person to whom the information relates. In some cases, we may also ask you to pay a reasonable fee to cover the cost of access.
We will aim to respond to you within 28 days of receiving your request. If we are not able to help with your request, you will receive a written explanation as to why.
7. Complaints about a breach of your privacy
If you are concerned about how we have collected or managed your personal information we request you follow the procedure set out below.
1. Contact one of our directors: 02 4328 4581 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. In order to effectively address your complaint, we may request further information from you about your complaint and the reasons behind the submission.
3. After we receive all the information we need from you, allow us approximately 28 days to address your complaint.
If you are not satisfied with how we have handled your complaint you can also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) on www.oaic.gov.au
The OAIC is a government body independent of us. It has the power to investigate complaints about possible interference with your privacy.
8. Securing your information
At Renwick Dental we take reasonable steps to ensure the security of personal and sensitive information we hold and to protect it against loss, misuse or unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification or disclosure. Our IT systems are password protected and comply with applicable security standards. Only authorised personnel are permitted to access these details.
It is our policy to:
• Permanently de-identify personal information where reasonable and possible; and
• Destroy personal information once there is no longer a legal or business need for us to retain it.
It is your right to be dealt with anonymously, provided that is it lawful and practicable. We will try to accommodate a request for anonymity wherever possible; however we note that in some circumstances, this may prevent us from practically and effectively communicating with you. If this is the case we will notify you.
10. Cookies and links to other websites
When you visit our website a record of your visit is logged. The following data is supplied by your browser:
• Your IP address and/or domain name;
• Your operating system (type of browser and platform);
• The date, time and length of your visit to the website; and
• The resources you accessed and the documents you downloaded.
This information is used to compile statistical information about the use of our website. It is not used for any other purpose. If you do not want ‘cookies’ to be used please adjust your browser settings to disable them.
Links to other websites